How To Safely Move Your Website To A New Domain
Sometimes you need to change the website domain of your active project. Moving to a new domain may occur due to an outdated content management system, a technical necessity for better domain extension, or project development.
When you have to change a domain of a prospective website, which already has brand trust and first-page rank in Google search results, don’t get upset. A successful move, which saves search engine ranking, is possible thanks to Short.cm.
Follow the instruction to change a domain safely with Short.cm:
Buy a new domain for the website. Point your website record, host and IP address. Wait a few hours for the domain to become active. For example, a new domain name is “new.com” and an old one is “old.com.”
While waiting for the activation of the new domain (new.com), point an A record, @ Host and Short.cm IP address 126.96.36.199 to the old domain (old.com).
Create a Short.cm account.
Add "old.com" domain.
- When a new domain is active, and your website possesses it, shorten links in Short.cm for each path of your site. Shorten “new.com” links with “old.com” domain. This way, you will recover the paths of your website.
- For example, a link “new.com/signup” will look like “old.com/signup.”
When users click old.com/signup, they will be redirected to new.com/signup. The same is with search robots. They index a new way and save first positions of the previous paths.
If you correctly followed all steps, search ranking of your website may take a small hit in the short term. Unfortunately, that’s pretty much unavoidable because of the considerable changes you’re making.
However, as long as you’ve implemented redirects properly, it should not be too long before you are back to your original rankings.
The article is about:
- How to change website domain and save Google ranking.
- Short.cm helps to move website to a new domain safely.
- Ranking positions are the same after transferring.
- Shorten links to save search engine results.